Monday, July 21, 2008

Following Jesus

I have been trying to quantify what it really means to follow Jesus. I am trying to keep it simple, because Christianity ought to be simply understood for the masses. It seems we have all tried to make it as complicated as possible.

My reduction of the spiritual truth that is between my ears has come to this: Luke 9:23 "And He was saying to them all, 'If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me'". Here is my verson of the verse: If anyone chooses to follow Jesus as Lord and Savior, let him once and for all deny himself by putting aside his own agenda for life, and once and for all pick up and live by God's agenda in all that you do.

It appears to me that we are deceiving ourselves if we call ourselves Christians and fail to deny self and take up our cross and follow Jesus. The problem is, I don't see many people living what this verse seems to indicate. Most Christians I know are really sold on exercising their own agenda for life, and they try to work God in somewhere in order to be respectable. I really think that is a spiritually dangerous situation to be in.

No comments: